HOW TO PLAY
- Teams draw numbers to receive their starting square.
- The game begins when the team in the 4 square serves from out of bounds diagonally to the 2 square, if it does not reach the 2 square, the server is ELIMINATED.
- The objective is to make it to the 4 square, where a player can serve and score.
- Score should be called out before each serve.
- No spiking or blocking the serve.
- After the serve, teams can return the ball to any other square. Each team is only allowed up to 3 contacts each time the ball enters their square.
- Blocks do not count as a touch.
- The ball may touch any part of the body. It can rebound in any direction. The ball can touch various parts of the body, provided that the contacts take place simultaneously.
- Using your head or feet is allowed and counts as a touch.
- Participants must accept referees’ decisions with sportsmanlike conduct*
- Teams keep their points the entire match.
- Play to 11 and win by two!
The Rally Ends When:
- If the ball lands in your square, your team is ELIMINATED
- If the ball lands out of bounds, the last team to make contact with the ball is ELIMINATED
- If a team makes a foul they are ELIMINATED.
- The ELIMINATED team moves to the 1 square or the back of the line. The remaining teams rotate clockwise. The 1 square is then filled by the next team in line or the previously ELIMINATED team.
- A referee can call a re-serve if he/she deems it necessary.
- If the net collapses at any point, for any reason, the play is to be re-served
- Open hand tips are allowed.
- Setting a free ball is allowed.
- After making an attack hit, you are allowed to pass your hand beyond the net, but the contact must have been made within your own playing space.
- A player can only block straight up along the plane of the net.
- If boundaries are undone during play, re-serve to restart the point.
- If a ball from another court enters square mid play, stop play and re-serve.
- If the ball goes out of bounds, the team who touched it last is ELIMINATED.
- Players can play the ball out of bounds as long as they don’t go under the net and/or through or in an opposing team’s square.
- Each team is allowed one 30 second timeout.
- No substitutions are allowed
- If a player gets injured the team is disqualified.
- The 4 Square location is chosen by the referee.
- Delay of Game: An improper action of a team that defers resumption of the game including delaying regular game interruptions; prolonging interruptions after instructed to resume the game; requesting an illegal substitution; repeating an improper request and delaying the game by a team member. Referees may disqualify at their discretion.
- It is forbidden to wear objects which may cause injury or give an artificial advantage to the player. Padded injury protection devices may be worn for protection or support. Players may wear glasses or lenses at their own risk.
- The serving team must alternate their server each time they enter the 4 square.
- Volleys are allowed to defend the serve.
- If the ball skims the net on the service it is playable.
- Serves cannot be blocked or attacked
- Whichever team is in the square that the ball passes through FIRST, must defend that ball or they are ELIMINATED regardless of which square the ball lands in.
- If the ball hits the pole and lands in, it’s a live ball.
- If the ball hits the pole and lands out, The last person to touch the ball is
- If the ball lands on the boundary line, it’s in.
- Players can't go under the net at any time during a rally.
- A player can not make contact with the net.
- You can NOT spike or block to return a serve.
- The server cannot step on or go over the boundary before they make contact with the serve.
- If you jump serve you must land behind the boundary line.
- Players may not catch, carry, hold or throw the ball at any time during play.
- Ball cannot change direction due to a double hit.
- No interfering: If a team contacts the ball by reaching over into an opposing team’s square interfering with that team’s ability to use their 3 contacts, the team that interfered is ELIMINATED.
- If an agreement can’t be made by the referee on a play, it is re-served.
- If a player crosses the plane of the net (under, over, through) and makes contact with another player, the player who crossed the plane is ELIMINATED.